- April 14, 2020
- All Maryland Issuing Offices
- UNDERWRITING - 4/10/2020 Update Maryland State Executive Order 20-03-30-04 Authorizing Remote Notarizations
On April 10, 2020, Maryland Governor, Lawrence J. Hogan, Jr., issued an update to Executive Order Number 20-03-30-04 (the “EO”). See here. Agents should read the update in full and take note of the following information:
- Zoom is not an allowable platform at this time.
- Note: The Secretary of State’s previous guidance specifically stated that services such as Skype or Facetime do not meet technology requirements.
- Note: Stewart’s technology requirements are stricter than Maryland’s requirements and can be found here.
- You may NOT charge more than $4 for each remote online notarial act using communication technology.
- Note: You cannot charge more than the $4 notary fee to cover the costs associated with using a communication technology vendor to facilitate the remote online notarization.
Please Note: Stewart has a dedicated site on VU for all things COVID-19 related available at: https://www.vuwriter.com/en/coronavirus-resources.html.
If you have any questions relating to this or other bulletins, please contact a Stewart Title Guaranty Company underwriter.
For on-line viewing of this and other bulletins, please log onto www.vuwriter.com.
THIS BULLETIN IS FURNISHED TO INFORM YOU OF CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS. AS A REMINDER, YOU ARE CHARGED WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THE CONTENT ON VIRTUAL UNDERWRITER AS IT EXISTS FROM TIME TO TIME AS IT APPLIES TO YOU, AS WELL AS ANY OTHER INSTRUCTIONS. OUR UNDERWRITING AGREEMENTS DO NOT AUTHORIZE OUR ISSUING AGENTS TO ENGAGE IN SETTLEMENTS OR CLOSINGS ON BEHALF OF STEWART TITLE GUARANTY COMPANY. THIS BULLETIN IS NOT INTENDED TO DIRECT YOUR ESCROW OR SETTLEMENT PRACTICES OR TO CHANGE PROVISIONS OF APPLICABLE UNDERWRITING AGREEMENTS. CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, OR NONPUBLIC PERSONAL INFORMATION SHOULD NEVER BE SHARED OR DISSEMINATED EXCEPT AS ALLOWED BY LAW. IF APPLICABLE STATE LAW OR REGULATION IMPOSES ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS, YOU SHOULD CONTINUE TO COMPLY WITH THOSE REQUIREMENTS.
- Bulletins Replaced:
- Related Bulletins:
- MD2020002 UNDERWRITING - Maryland State Executive Order 20-03-30-04 Authorizing Remote Notarizations [Revised 4-6-20]
- SLS2020003 UNDERWRITING - Remote Online Notarization
- SLS2020004 UNDERWRITING - Remote Online Notarization
- Underwriting Manual:
- Exceptions Manual: