- December 19, 2019
- All Michigan Issuing Offices
- UNDERWRITING - Electronic and Remote Online Notarization (RON)
Please be advised that in furtherance Stewart Bulletins MI2019004 and SLS2019002 and of the provisions of Public Act 360 and 361 of 2018, the State of Michigan has identified four (4) approved platforms for Michigan notaries to perform electronic and remote online notarization. Those four platforms are:
E-Mortgage Law – Offers electronic notarization services
Nexsys – Offers both electronic and remote notarization services
Pavaso – Offers both electronic and remote notarization services
NotaryCam – Offers both electronic and remote notarization services
Please note that these are contract vendor systems and the State of Michigan does not provide access, training or dictate the costs of these systems. To become eligible to conduct electronic or remote notarizations one would follow these steps:
- Complete the process to become a commissioned notary public in Michigan if you are not currently commissioned.
- Select and purchase an electronic notarization system/platform from the identified vendor list. This would be done directly with the vendor and not through the State of Michigan. [All questions should be directed to the vendor.]
- Complete and submit the forms provided on the State of Michigan Secretary of State website to identify the system or platform vendor with whom you have contracted to be able to qualify to perform electronic or RON notarizations.
- Before performing the first electronic or remote notarial act, the information must be on file with the Secretary of State.
Please also remember that Section 25a of Public Act 361 recognizes a notarial act performed in another state, under federal law, by a federally recognized Indian tribe or a foreign country as having the same effect as if it was performed by a notary licensed in Michigan so long as the notary is authorized under the laws of that jurisdiction.
Attached is a Secretary of State Notary Guide with FAQ’s that will provide assistance in this process. Please advise all appropriate personnel of the above-identified information.
If you have any questions relating to this or other bulletins, please contact a Stewart Title Guaranty Company underwriter.
For on-line viewing of this and other bulletins, please log onto www.vuwriter.com.
THIS BULLETIN IS FURNISHED TO INFORM YOU OF CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS. AS A REMINDER, YOU ARE CHARGED WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THE CONTENT ON VIRTUAL UNDERWRITER AS IT EXISTS FROM TIME TO TIME AS IT APPLIES TO YOU, AS WELL AS ANY OTHER INSTRUCTIONS. OUR UNDERWRITING AGREEMENTS DO NOT AUTHORIZE OUR ISSUING AGENTS TO ENGAGE IN SETTLEMENTS OR CLOSINGS ON BEHALF OF STEWART TITLE GUARANTY COMPANY. THIS BULLETIN IS NOT INTENDED TO DIRECT YOUR ESCROW OR SETTLEMENT PRACTICES OR TO CHANGE PROVISIONS OF APPLICABLE UNDERWRITING AGREEMENTS. CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, OR NONPUBLIC PERSONAL INFORMATION SHOULD NEVER BE SHARED OR DISSEMINATED EXCEPT AS ALLOWED BY LAW. IF APPLICABLE STATE LAW OR REGULATION IMPOSES ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS, YOU SHOULD CONTINUE TO COMPLY WITH THOSE REQUIREMENTS.
- Bulletins Replaced:
- Related Bulletins:
- MI2019004 UNDERWRITING - Remote Online Notarization (RON)
- SLS2019002 UNDERWRITING - Remote Online Notarization
- Underwriting Manual:
- Exceptions Manual: