- March 05, 2009
- All Ohio Issuing Offices
- New Ohio Revised Code Dealing with Standardization of Recordings
Please be advised that the Ohio Legislature has amended Ohio Revised Code Section 317.114. The legislation standardizes the requirements for recordation of documents. This code section requires the following:
- Print size not smaller than a computer font size of ten;
- Minimum paper size of eight and one-half inches by eleven inches;
- Maximum paper size of eight and one-half inches by fourteen inches;
- Black or blue ink only;
- No use of highlighting;
- Margins of one-inch width on each side of each page of the instrument or document;
- A margin of one-inch width across the bottom of each page of the instrument or document;
- A three-inch margin of blank space across the top of the first page of each instrument or document to accommodate any certification or endorsement of the county engineer, county auditor, or county recorder, as may be required by law, with the right half of that margin being reserved for the endorsement of the county recorder required by section 317.12 of the Revised Code; and
- A one and one-half-inch margin across the top of each of the remaining pages of the instrument or document.
This section does provide for certain exceptions, including documents executed before the effective date of July 1, 2009. If a document is presented for recording that does not comply, the recorder must still accept the document, but must also charge an additional $20.00.
If you have questions relating to this bulletin, please contact Ohio Underwriting Personnel or Stewart Legal Services.
For on-line viewing of this and other bulletins, please log onto www.vuwriter.com.
THIS BULLETIN IS FURNISHED TO INFORM YOU OF CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS. AS A REMINDER, YOU ARE CHARGED WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THE CONTENT ON VIRTUAL UNDERWRITER AS IT EXISTS FROM TIME TO TIME AS IT APPLIES TO YOU, AS WELL AS ANY OTHER INSTRUCTIONS. OUR UNDERWRITING AGREEMENTS DO NOT AUTHORIZE OUR ISSUING AGENTS TO ENGAGE IN SETTLEMENTS OR CLOSINGS ON BEHALF OF STEWART TITLE GUARANTY COMPANY. THIS BULLETIN IS NOT INTENDED TO DIRECT YOUR ESCROW OR SETTLEMENT PRACTICES OR TO CHANGE PROVISIONS OF APPLICABLE UNDERWRITING AGREEMENTS. CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, OR NONPUBLIC PERSONAL INFORMATION SHOULD NEVER BE SHARED OR DISSEMINATED EXCEPT AS ALLOWED BY LAW. IF APPLICABLE STATE LAW OR REGULATION IMPOSES ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS, YOU SHOULD CONTINUE TO COMPLY WITH THOSE REQUIREMENTS.