- December 19, 2006
- All New York State Office Counsel, Managers and Agents
- School Tax in Monroe County
Please see below and exhibit for information on determining payment for 2006/07 school tax.
MEMO BY FAX
TO: All Members
FROM: Ana Lord
SUBJECT: School Tax in
DATE: December 7, 2006
Member, Bill Collins has sent us the following information.
We have just been informed by the Monroe County Treasurer's office that School Tax information has been issued by their offices since the 2006-2007 School Tax year began (on September 1, 2006) may have been incorrect.
They have stated that in both the School Tax duplicate bills issued since Sept. 1 by their department, and on the information on their tax computer, all the School tax balances have been stated as zero, even though there may be an outstanding balance. The bills also do not show if the Scholl Tax has been re-levied to the 2007
The attached memo from the Treasurer's office indicates how to determine if an account has been paid; basically you will have to see an actual payment (or series of installment payments) printed on the bill. Just seeing "zero" balance owed is not evidence of full payment. The individual
Tax bills are still being printed incorrectly. The Treasurer has told us that they should printing accurate bills by the end of this week. They have corrected the problem on the computer in the Treasurer's office.
THIS BULLETIN IS FURNISHED TO INFORM YOU OF CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS. AS A REMINDER, YOU ARE CHARGED WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THE CONTENT ON VIRTUAL UNDERWRITER AS IT EXISTS FROM TIME TO TIME AS IT APPLIES TO YOU, AS WELL AS ANY OTHER INSTRUCTIONS. OUR UNDERWRITING AGREEMENTS DO NOT AUTHORIZE OUR ISSUING AGENTS TO ENGAGE IN SETTLEMENTS OR CLOSINGS ON BEHALF OF STEWART TITLE GUARANTY COMPANY. THIS BULLETIN IS NOT INTENDED TO DIRECT YOUR ESCROW OR SETTLEMENT PRACTICES OR TO CHANGE PROVISIONS OF APPLICABLE UNDERWRITING AGREEMENTS. CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, OR NONPUBLIC PERSONAL INFORMATION SHOULD NEVER BE SHARED OR DISSEMINATED EXCEPT AS ALLOWED BY LAW. IF APPLICABLE STATE LAW OR REGULATION IMPOSES ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS, YOU SHOULD CONTINUE TO COMPLY WITH THOSE REQUIREMENTS.
We Just [sic] discovered that the balance due information on EZ Tax for school taxes shows all accounts with a balance of zero. Obviously, that is incorrect. If the account is unpaid and you print a duplicate school bill, it is going to show a balance due of zero when there is really a balance due on the account.
For now, the only way to determine the payment on a school tax you can look at:
1) The duplicate tax bill - if there are no payments listed on the duplicate bill, then you know that the account has an outstanding balance.
2) The actual payment history - the payment history will also show what payments were made. If the customer paid by installment, you will have to determine what installment(s) were unpaid.
3) The Parcel Screen for school tax will show that there is no balance due and in the upper portion of the screen next to "Journal Entry Number" you will see "Adjustment Code" this will be populated with the code "RLV".