- December 04, 2003
- All New York State Office Counsel, Managers and Agents
- Escrow Deposit Review - Compliance with Sections 1317 and 1422 of the New York Abandoned Property Law
Please Note: The procedure for compliance with the Abandoned Property Law as it pertains to title company escrow deposits has changed this year.
Pursuant to Section 1317 of the Abandoned Property Law, escrow deposits collected by title companies, their agents or representatives as an inducement to issue a title policy, which become 3 or more years old (measured from date of deposit) as of December 31 of any year, must be turned over to the State Comptroller as abandoned property unless there has been written communication from the depositor or other person claiming the deposit within the 3 year period.
This is a reminder that if your office has not already done so, a review should be conducted to identify those escrows that will become 3 years old as of December 31, 2003. If you have escrows that fall into this category, the following procedure is to be followed, pursuant to Section 1422 of the Abandoned Property Law.
At least ninety days prior to the applicable reporting date(1), you must send a written notice by first class mail, to each person appearing to be the owner of the deposit, at the address of the owner as it appears on your books and records. This requirement shall not apply where you do not have an address for the owner or you can demonstrate the only address you have pertaining to the owner is not the current address.
To the extent that the ninety day notice is required, you must, with respect to deposits in excess of $1000.00, send a second written notice by certified mail, return receipt requested, unless you have, in response to the ninety day notice, received a claim from the owner of the property or, the original mailing was returned to you as undeliverable.
The written notice required under Section 1422 shall advise the owner that deposit will be remitted to the state comptroller unless the deposit is claimed by the owner prior to the required remittance date(2).
In addition, pursuant to Section 1422, the cost of necessary certified mailing may be deducted from the deposit as a service charge.
Copies of Sections 1317 and 1422 of the Abandoned Property Law are attached to this Bulletin for your reference. It is strongly suggested that you review both statutes in their entirety. Further information, including forms for reporting to the Comptroller's office, is available at
Should you have any questions regarding the questions of escrows or the Abandoned Property Law, please contact Company Counsel.
1) The applicable reporting date, pursuant to Section 1317 (2) is "...within the first ten days of March in each year..." for "Any such property deemed abandoned as of the preceding December thirty-first...".
2) The required remittance date appears to be same as the applicable reporting date pursuant to Section 1317(2).
THIS BULLETIN IS FURNISHED TO INFORM YOU OF CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS. AS A REMINDER, YOU ARE CHARGED WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THE CONTENT ON VIRTUAL UNDERWRITER AS IT EXISTS FROM TIME TO TIME AS IT APPLIES TO YOU, AS WELL AS ANY OTHER INSTRUCTIONS. OUR UNDERWRITING AGREEMENTS DO NOT AUTHORIZE OUR ISSUING AGENTS TO ENGAGE IN SETTLEMENTS OR CLOSINGS ON BEHALF OF STEWART TITLE GUARANTY COMPANY. THIS BULLETIN IS NOT INTENDED TO DIRECT YOUR ESCROW OR SETTLEMENT PRACTICES OR TO CHANGE PROVISIONS OF APPLICABLE UNDERWRITING AGREEMENTS. CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, OR NONPUBLIC PERSONAL INFORMATION SHOULD NEVER BE SHARED OR DISSEMINATED EXCEPT AS ALLOWED BY LAW. IF APPLICABLE STATE LAW OR REGULATION IMPOSES ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS, YOU SHOULD CONTINUE TO COMPLY WITH THOSE REQUIREMENTS.
- Bulletins Replaced:
- Related Bulletins:
- NY000125 Escrow Deposit Review - Compliance with Sec. 1317 of the New York Abandoned Property Law
- NY000155 Escrow Deposit Review - Compliance with Sec. 1317 of the New York Abandoned Property Law
- NY000163 Escrow Deposit Review - Compliance with Sec. 1317 of the New York Abandoned Property Law
- NY000179 Escrow Deposit Review - Compliance with Sec. 1317 of the New York Abandoned Property Law
- NY000185 Escrow Deposit Review - Compliance with Sec. 1317 of the New York Abandoned Property Law
- NY000194 Escrow Deposit Review - Compliance with Sec. 1317 of the New York Abandoned Property Law
- Underwriting Manual:
- Exceptions Manual: